I was rummaging through a box of old stuff and of all the useless things, I found two shoe boxes of cassette tapes. I don’t even have a machine to play cassettes anymore so it was long past time to let most of them go, but I such a great time looking over my handful of old mix tapes I couldn’t bear to part with them.
Mix tapes used to be a big thing in our family. My oldest sibling is seven years older than I am, so he was off to college before I hit my teens. He used to send me mix tapes for birthdays and Christmas. My youngest sister, in turn, is nine years younger than I am, so I was off to college before she hit her teens. I used to send her mix tapes, or bring them home on visits. Somewhere in there, my other sisters got involved, and anytime we were stuck for a gift to send, we’d create a mix tape and send it along.
Eventually mixing tapes turned into burning CDs (so much easier!) and now we’re all old and set in our ways and we barely send music at all. It’s too bad–maybe next Christmas I’ll try to revive the tradition.
This is verging on an Ungoth Confession, but if you can make out the songlists you’ll notice my taste was and still is all over the place. Partly, I was gearing the tapes toward my sisters and not myself, and partly I’m just like that. I listen to all the things. Just not on cassette anymore.
This last photo is pretty much my favorite Christmas album ever, put together by one of my sisters and her ex, Mike. I listen to it just a silly amount every year.
In case you can’t read the list off my crappy photo, here it is:
- Sleigh Ride–The Ronettes
- No Christmas for Me–Zee Avi
- Please Be Patient–Feist
- Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas–Aimee Mann
- Christmas is Going to the Dogs–Eels
- Winter–Kristin Hersh
- I Saw Three Ships–Sufjan Stevens
- Goyim Friends–The LeeVees
- We ThreeKings–Reverend Horton Heat
- There Are Much Worse Things to Believe In–Elvis Costello, Feist, John Legend, Stephen Colbert
- Santa Claus is Comin’ to Town–Bruce Springsteen
- Silver Bells–William Hung
- Christmas (Baby Please Come Home)–Darlene Love
- Maybe This Christmas–Ron Sexsmith
- Angel in the Snow–Elliot Smith
- Here Comes Santa Clause–Elvis Presley
- Snow Song–Judd & Maggie
- We Wish You a Merry Christmas–John Denver & the Muppets
- 25th December–Everything But the Girl
- I Know You’ve Come to Take my Toys Away–The Mountain Goats
- Joy to the World–The Klezmonauts
- My Dear Acquaintance (A Happy New Year)–Regina Spektor